When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! But when life gives you blood oranges, take your lemonade game to the next level. Blood Orange Lemonade is the perfect twist on the classic summertime drink.
It’s a vibrant and tangy beverage bursting with citrusy goodness and is a thirst-quenching drink that keeps you cool on even the hottest days. The combination of tart lemons and sweet blood oranges creates a unique flavor that will tantalize your taste buds and have you feeling refreshed and energized.
So, let’s ditch the boring old lemonade and add some pizzazz to our drink options. With just a few simple ingredients and some helpful tips, you can make a pitcher of Blood Orange Lemonade that will impress your guests and quench your thirst. Get ready to elevate your summertime sipping with this delicious and colorful drink!
Blood oranges are usually available until June, depending on where you live, but you can swap for another orange and still get some really great flavor!
Reasons you’ll love blood orange lemonade
- It’s a refreshing, thirst-quenching drink perfect for hot, sunny days.
- The bright, beautiful color of the blood oranges will add a pop of color to your table.
- Blood oranges are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants, making this drink delicious and healthy. You can feel good about sipping on this tasty beverage and giving your body some much-needed nutrients.
With just a few simple and fresh ingredients, you can create a pitcher of this vibrant and delicious drink in no time.
- Blood oranges: These oranges have a deep, red flesh and a sweet, slightly tart flavor. They are the star of this drink, providing a unique and refreshing taste as well as a beautiful color.
- Lemons: The tartness of lemons balances out the sweetness of the blood oranges, creating a perfect flavor balance in the drink.
- Sugar: This adds sweetness to the drink and helps balance out the lemons’ tartness.
- Water: The drink base and main ingredient needed to create the lemonade base. Use fresh, cold water for the best taste.
- Ice: You can use regular ice cubes or make them from the same lemonade base for a stronger flavor.
- Fresh mint leaves (optional): Adding fresh mint leaves to the drink adds a refreshing twist and a pleasant aroma. It’s a perfect addition to elevate the drink to the next level.
How to make blood orange lemonade
To make the perfect Blood Orange Lemonade, the first step is juicing the fruit. Don’t worry; it’s an easy process and is well worth the effort. The combination of fresh blood orange and lemon juice is what makes this drink so special.
- Juice the fruit: Start by cutting all your citrus fruit in half for a quicker juicing process. You can use a small hand juicer, a citrus reamer, or any other method that you prefer. If you don’t have a juicer, don’t worry! You can simply use a whisk over a mesh strainer and measuring cup to extract the juice. It’s that easy!
- Strain the pulp: Pour the juice over a mesh sieve to collect some of the fibrous pulp and seeds for a smoother drink.
- Simple syrup: In a pot, add half a cup of water along with the sugar and bring it to a quick boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add to a pitcher: Pour the freshly squeezed lemon and blood orange juice into a pitcher along with the ice-cold water and simple syrup.
For a more developed and satisfying flavor, it’s best to chill your Blood Orange Lemonade for a few hours before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and create a more harmonious taste. Once chilled, simply pour the lemonade over ice, garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired, and enjoy!
Here are a few tips to make the BEST blood orange lemonade every time!
- Use fresh and ripe blood oranges and lemons for the best flavor. You can tell they’re ripe when they’re slightly soft to the touch.
- Roll the citrus fruits on a hard surface before juicing to release more juice.
- Use a strainer to remove any pulp or seeds from the juice.
- Adjust the sweetness to your taste by adding more or less sugar.
- Substitute the sugar for another sweetener. You can use honey, maple syrup, Splenda, or agave nectar. Start with a small amount and adjust to your desired sweetness.
- Add a few fresh mint leaves to the lemonade before chilling for an added touch of freshness.
- If you want a stronger flavor, freeze some of the lemonade mixtures into ice cubes and use them to serve the drink.
To store, keep the Blood Orange Lemonade in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Blood Orange Lemonade is a refreshing and delicious drink that is perfect for any occasion, from a hot summer day to a cozy indoor gathering. The combination of fresh blood orange and lemon juice, along with a simple syrup, creates a perfectly balanced flavor that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
So go ahead, try this recipe out for yourself, and enjoy the sweet and tangy taste of Blood Orange Lemonade!
More Summer Recipes
- Red Wine Espresso Poached Pears
- Southern Potato Salad
- Southern Macaroni Salad
- Summer Garden Quiche
- Peaches and Cream Strudel
Blood Orange LemonadeCourse: BeverageCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Quench your thirst with sweet and tangy Blood Orange Lemonade. The perfect balance of flavors and beautiful colors will brighten up any day!
1 1/2 cups blood orange juice, about 6-7 blood oranges
2/3 cup lemon juice, about 4-5 lemons
1 cup granulated sugar
5 1/2 cups water, divided
- Add 1/2 a cup of water and sugar to a pot. Bring to a quick boil and remove from the heat, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Juice the blood oranges and lemons. Strain the pulp and seeds and add to a pitcher.
- Add the ice-cold water and simple syrup to the pitcher and chill for at least an hour before serving. Serve over ice!