I absolutely enjoyed making this roasted red pepper, tomato, carrot bisque. One of my favorite things to do is go to Crispers, order a bowl of Tomato bisque and ceasar salad, and enjoy some time to work on projects or delve into a good book.
What kept happening, though, is they either wouldn’t have my favorite soup or it just gets too busy, and I mean, it is also kind of expensive.
So, I decided to make my own bisque and knocked it up a few with the addition of red peppers and carrots, plus all the other roasted veggies.
This tomato and red pepper soup could easily be made on the stove-top without the roasting step, but I love the flavors that roasting gives. Especially with garlic and peppers.
Plus, it’s super easy and the prep is minimal.
Check out these easy scratch recipes
- Manicotti Smothered with Scratch Sausage Tomato Sauce
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
- Ham and Bean Soup
Prepping vegetables for Roasted Tomato, Carrot, Pepper Soup
Onions: no need to peel, just cut into quarters
Red peppers: de-stem, cut in half, and remove seeds
Tomatoes: cut in half, or leave whole
Garlic: remove cloves from bulb, but leave in skin
Carrots: no prep needed if using baby carrots, otherwise just peel
Roast vegetables and Puree
Place all the vegetables on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Roast in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until tender.
After they have finished roasting, remove garlic and onion from skin and place in a pot with the other roasted vegetables. Add in the broth, chili powder, italian seasoning, and canned stewed tomatoes.
Want more veggies in your life?
Try this Spring Stewed Squash and Tomatoes for a delicious dinner side.
I used an immersion blender, but a food processor or blender would work as well. I also prefer a very smooth soup, so feel free to pour this through a sive to rid the larger pieces.
Once pureed and smooth, add in sugar and salt to taste. Allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes so all those flavors can meld together. Before serving, add in the cream.
Personally, I like to heat the cream on the side and add a spoonful to the bowl with a little Parmesan and croutons or toasty bread.
While this batch makes about 3 bowls, 1 1/2 cups each, you could easily double the recipe for a larger batch.
Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, Carrot BisqueCourse: Dinner, SoupsCuisine: American, ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Enjoy this smooth and creamy roasted tomato, carrot, and red pepper vegetable soup with some crusty bread or croutons and a side salad.
1 med-lg red pepper, cut in half and seeded
4 roma tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 bag baby carrots
1 medium sweet onion, cut into quarters
4 garlic cloves, left in skin
16 oz vegetable broth
1 can stewed tomatoes
2-3 oz heavy cream
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp granulated sugar
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Place carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and red peppers on sheet. Drizzle olive oil and toss to coat. Roast vegetables for about 25 minutes, or until tender.
- After roasting, add vegetables to a pot and squeeze garlic from the skin. Also add in the can of stewed tomatoes. Add in veggie broth and seasonings. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- If you want a smoother soup, pour through a mesh sive to eliminate the larger pieces. Do this in batches.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Add sugar and salt.
- Serve with a spoonful of warm cream, or you can add the cream into the pot. Top with a little Parmesan, herbs, and toasty bread.
- When roasting the vegetables, little prep is needed. Keep the onions and garlic in the skin, half the peppers and tomatoes, and no need to cut the carrots.
- Salt will be needed but use at your own discretion.