This Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Pasta is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Easy instructions, simple ingredients, and full of flavor. Not only that, but it’s also basically a one-pot dish after preparing the pasta. Have dinner ready in about 40 minutes.
Need a new idea for dinner tonight? You’ve got to try this Creamy Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta. Serve with a Pear and Gorgonzola salad for a refreshing pairing.
Creamy Shrimp Pasta with Sausage
This traditional spicy Southern shrimp pasta is a staple in our weekly recipes. I love to use fresh pasta to heighten the quality of this Cajun shrimp dish. It’s tender and soaks up the creamy tomato sauce perfectly.
Even better is cheese tortellini. Simply add to the sauce and simmer about 7 minutes. It’s delicious!
You can’t beat a good homemade, from scratch meal. The ingredients are likely to be in your pantry or fridge. Having a simple creamy pasta sauce recipe makes it easy to add alternate flavorings, giving you a variety of different meals to have.
Fresh veggies, juicy shrimp and andouille sausage served over pasta in a creamy tomato with the perfect amount of spice for a little kick. What’s great is you can easily adjust the heat so the whole family can enjoy.
This cajun pasta dish is a favorite and is so satisfyingly filling. Try serving it at your next gathering!
Check out these recipes
Try a different variation
It’s super easy to switch out a few ingredients as this creamy tomato sauce is quite versatile.
You can use different pasta such as cheese-filled tortellini (my personal favorite). Or serve the cajun shrimp and sausage sauce over rice. Adding in some okra would be absolutely delicious and shredded cheese, like Parmesan, on top.
I also like to switch up the protein. You can either add or substitute chicken and change the sausage you prefer. Get creative and keep this recipe on hand to make new variations of your own!
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta Ingredients
- Shrimp: 1/2 pound of white shrimp, peeled and deveined. Depending on what’s on sale, I’ll either get medium or large shrimp.
- Andouille sausage: smoked sausage with delicious Cajun spices.
- Veggies: onions, red chili and bell peppers, kale (optional)
- Fresh pasta: Buitoni is the brand we usually get from Publix. It only takes 2 minutes to cook in boiling water! Boxed pasta works just fine, and you should definitely try it with tortellini.
- Tomatoes: a can of crushed tomatoes with tomato puree
- Heavy cream and chicken broth
- Seasonings: Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and brown sugar
Cajun Shrimp and Andouille PastaCourse: Recipes, Dinner, MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Pasta is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Easy instructions, simple ingredients, and full of flavor.
1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 andouille sausage, sliced julienne
1 tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, deseed and dice small
1 red chili pepper, deseeded and sliced very thin
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes with tomato puree
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, divided
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
1 package fresh pasta or tortellini
fresh parsley, chopped
1 bunch kale, chopped
- Toss shrimp with salt, Cajun seasoning, oregano, and ground pepper, then set aside.
- Heat large pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook sausage about 2-3 minutes each side. Set aside. Sear shrimp quickly and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and saute onion and red pepper with remaining Cajun seasoning, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Once translucent, add garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes and brown sugar, cooking 8-10 minutes until thickened and reduced, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken broth and add back sausage, simmering for an additional 10 minutes until about 1/3 reduced.
Add in cream, cooked shrimp, and kale (optional) at the end, before tossing in pasta. *
- Cook pasta according to package and toss in the sauce. Serve with fresh parsley garnish.
- The sauce will be thin. This is because the fresh-cooked pasta will absorb a lot of moisture and thicken the sauce slightly with the addition of heavy cream.